For one of my capstone courses this year at CMU, JRN 521 Seminar in News Photography, we are tasked with a semester-long final multimedia project (which will be the second one I am doing, because I have another of for my second capstone source lol). We had to write out our proposal for our piece and it was a lot to think about ahead of time, like the schedule and logistics, etc. These are things I usually don’t take the time planning and it is hard for me to plan without set/confirmed subjects or information.
Below is my concept/idea for my final proposal which will be posted in April!
FINAL PROJECT PROPOSAL
1) WORKING HYPOTHESIS and INTERPRETATION
In life, I believe that we all face challenges personally and from society. There is a huge rise in the challenge of dealing with rape culture and any type of sexual assault/harassment. My project will show this in action by exploring the #MeToo movement and working with those who are survivors and might have PTSD from these assaults. Ultimately, I want the audience to feel connected to the subjects at hand and connected to the issue, and understand that this is an issue in today’s society and on our college campus, people need to be more open to the discussion of rape culture and not be so synthesized to it.
Provide the who, what, where, why and how:
WHO: I will try to work with SAPA and other organizations. I also have connections to survivors, but I don’t want to state their names at this time because I haven’t gotten full approval from them yet.
WHAT: #MeToo and Rape Culture
WHERE: In Michigan and mainly at CMU
WHY: I am a survivor of sexual assault and I hate how limited discussions on this topic are and I want to really show that it can happen to ALL people, it is not a women’s only issue.
HOW: Photos, video, poll/survey and graphics of data
Write a concise paragraph about:
Again, the subject of my project is to explore in a deeper level the topic of the #MeToo movement and rape culture on campus and in Michigan. I am working on getting approval from all potential subjects for the assignment and I want to work with SAPA and interview them and their work on the topic locally. The audience will need to understand the definition of rape culture, how students define consent, that this is a trigging subject so be aware when reading, and the start and rise of #MeToo.
3) ACTION (JUST IDEAS)
- what are the activities
- Quick interviews with students at bars about consent
- Interviews with survivors and SAPA
- Footage of SAPA working??
- Police interaction???
- Images of reports (gain access, and blur out names)
- Photographs of survivors, to show there is no set type of victim
- the expected structure of events – UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME
- how the activity may contribute to the whole project – UNSURE HOW TO ANSWER WITHOUT BEING REPETITIVE, LOOK AT SECTIONS 1-2???
4) POTENTIAL MAIN SUBJECT(S) (IN PROGRESS)
Possible Subject 1:
- a) who: Brianne Twiddy
- b) where (where does this person belong in the scheme of things): She would Br able to share her story for the video and to photograph.
- c) what (what is the subject’s role, what makes the subject interesting, significant?): Brianne is a survivor of assault and she is semi-open about the topic, but I have a built strong communication with her and believe her story would be great to add.
Possible Subject 2:
- a) who: SAPA Representative (preferably two, male and female)
- b) where (where does this person belong in the scheme of things): Insight on rape culture and this issue, good interviews.
- c) what (what is the subject’s role, what makes the subject interesting, significant?): Inform about resources, data, what they have witnessed (if allowed), etc.
Possible Subject 3:
STILL IN SEARCH. Another Survivor of rape or sexual assault/harassment (preferably have three total; all races and genders).
Community members and their opinions on consent, rape culture, and this issue on campus. They will be respondents for polls and parts of the video.
5) CAMERA INTERVIEWS (IN PROGRESS)
For each interview list:
- Survivors – to share story
- SAPA – information on sexual assault
- Community Members
Write a brief paragraph on how you hope to structure your project. Consider:
This is really hard to think about at this stage. Currently, my first step is gathering subjects, obtaining background information on the topic and gaining necessary access (what access do I need). Thinking about the final end result is really difficult, but right now I see the package structure opening with the video, then text, then photos and polls, then more text and graphics, and text again, and then helplines and links (so that the audience can then act after reading). This is really just a general idea.
UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME – TO BE DETERMINED AFTER FINALIZATION OF SUBJECTS
Write a paragraph about how you imagine your piece will impact your viewers
I hope this piece with help the discussion of sexual assault and help survivors/viewers, fell open to voice their #MeToo to build report on the issue. I also hope this piece will help viewers learn they aren’t alone, how big of and issue this is, and service/help provided that they might not have known about previously.